How Corsets Heal: 20 Benefits

16 Jun

Thank you for your interest in learning about the benefits a corset can bring to your life. My previous article, “How Corsets Heal” has gained so much popularity that it has earned a place as a permanent page on my site! You can see the tab above at the top of the page, or you can click below:

Click here to see the new and freshly updated “How Corsets Heal”

The original article was so long that it was getting quite difficult to read, so the new page breaks down the benefits of corset-wearing into three different components – how corsets help you physically, how they can help with mental or emotional issues, and how they can help you in social situations/ how the corset community has a larger societal impact than you think. You can jump to any of those articles below. Altogether, we have now counted over 30 benefits and counting!

Physical Benefits of Corseting

Mental/ Emotional Benefits of Corseting

Social/ Societal Benefits of Corseting

11 Responses to “How Corsets Heal: 20 Benefits”

1. Amie Patsilevas June 16, 2012 at 7:51 am #

Lucy, I can’t tell you how happy I am that you wrote this. I am a 38 year old female and I have a hypothyroidism, pcos AND severe scoliosis with constant back pain. I have battled the weight issue for years and with a healthy diet and daily exercise I can keep it somewhat under control, but I have ALWAYS hated my midsection. It is boxy and I have no waistline at all because the scoliosis (which I had surgery for at the age of 10) causes me to have a short, compressed torso. The PCOS causes weight gain in the midsection so those “last 5 lbs” are always hanging on to MY midsection. I was told years ago that my stomach muscles are also torn apart because of the curvature of my spine. And to top it all off the back pain the I experience on a daily basis wears on my mind and my body. I am so excited to get my first corset (I am currently on your custon corset waiting list) because I know that I will benefit mentally and physically in ways that noone could imagine unless you’ve walked a day in my shoes. I feel like I go into battle everyday, and although I have never used and of my disorders or disabilities as an excuse (I have competed in powerlifting competitions, figure competitions and I own my own business), there are days that are tougher than others to get through. So I THANK YOU so much for writing this and for providing people everywhere with benefits that are often beyond comprehension.

2. Juanita Navarro Páez June 16, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

Recently I found a new use for my corset. I suffer of severe cramps during my period since I can remember. I feel bad, sometimes I can’t walk, stand up straight, and not even lying down is something I can do without feeling pain. Since I was 15 I started taking pills to ease the pain and now, at 21, I need to take at least 4 pills a day to feel just ok.
    I really don’t like the fact that I’m giving my body all those pills and I’m afraid that by when I get to 30 or something I will have to take 10 pills a day.
    On my last period I was feeling like crap, so I decided to wear my waist training corset (underneath my clothes) to feel a bit pretty and just better about myself. Besides doing that, the corset also helped to ease the cramps. Yes, I still felt some pain, but it was minimum and completely bearable, by the end of the day I didin’t even feel it. It was amazing, I don’t know what’s the medical explanation, but now I know a better way to ease my pain.

3. Lelanie June 25, 2012 at 12:47 am #

Cant vouch for the period one as well :P heehee. No pain at all here if I wear a corset :) My cheaper corsets seem less affective though. I have also picked up a lot of weight over the last 2 years since previous health issues have healed. I am now also curvy instead of skinny, and a corset really does help on those days where you just feel absolutely miserable after looking at old photographs

4. Evelyn July 2, 2012 at 1:10 am #

OMG I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED WHY WHEN I WEAR A CORSET I FEEL BETTER IN A WEIRD WAY….EMOTIONALY AND PHYSICALY AND NOW I UNDERSTAND BY READING SOME OF THESE POINTS THAT HAVE BEEN MADE!

5. Chris D. September 27, 2012 at 12:57 am #

All I can say is Brava! I’ll be pointing people to this post in the future.

6. Tom Sleifer August 31, 2013 at 9:51 am #

I really believe there are some real serious health benefits to daily wearing either a girdle or a corset. I believe that the fact as humans we stand erect this has a very negative effect on our bodies, that wearing either a girdle or a corset everyday will counteract this negative effect in a very healthy way. There might be some evidence that wearing a well fitted firm boned girdle or a corset everyday could potentially extend your life. My mom, grandmother, and aunt all were girdle and corset dependent and lived to their very late eighties and into their nineties. I have chatted with others also and there might be something to this.

• Maria October 6, 2013 at 11:17 pm #

As a fifteen year old, I find it difficult to keep my posture straight due to either a lack of exercise or a debilitating low self esteem. When I expressed to my mother a desire to own a corset because I enjoyed the way they accentuate the features, she gave it a few thoughts. However, she ended up expressing her contempt later on after I convinced her to go and try out a few. The store happened to be a fetish place, but I deterred from the wacky bras and whips as I had my eye on the wall of corsets. The worker allowed me to try a sample size and I immediately brightened. Over my flimsy tank top I wore an underbust, twirling jovially over an almost discovered and mature body type that I knew I had hidden. My mother tried an overbust, expressing discomfort as she is ample chested, we left immediately- with my mother`s pessimism showing, her negativity clearly in the air as we walked down the street. I tried convincing her of otherwise. She had enough. A few months later, I asked whether I could own a corset, but of course, not a waist trainer. She expressed disgust, claiming the many health issues this garment can create. Discouraged, I never asked again.
      However that, my mother decided to take pictures of the family whilst on vacation a month ago. In all the pictures, my posture was slumped and absolutely horrible and she more than pointed it out. Now, I believe I will bother her once more about the corset after reading this post. My coveting has been reignited. Thank you. Maybe on my trip to France I will purchase one as both a souvenir and a reminder of my own independence.

• Tom Sleifer January 1, 2014 at 12:49 pm #

Maria;
        This advise comes from the corsetiere that fit me. What you are experiencing no matter how much exercise and diet you do you will never be able to solve the negative effects sorry to say of the fact that as a human you stand erect and gravity. The only common sense solution is to wear a corset or a girdle everyday without question, even just relaxing around the house. A well fitted corset or girdle counteracts the negative effect that standing erect and gravity has on your body. Yes it can take a little time to get completely use to being in a corset or a girdle, but it sure is well worth it.

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Corset article series by Deanna Dahlsad of Kitsch-Slapped « Lucy's Corsetry - August 30, 2012

[...] when you have time to spare! The conclusion left me a bit unsatisfied, as if one looks closer, corsets have more uses than just leading to copulation, but the articles are still well-written overall. Share this:Like this:LikeBe the first to like [...]

2. “Waisted Curves: My Transformation Into A Victorian Lady” by Sarah A. Chrisman — an Overview « Lucy's Corsetry - September 24, 2012

[...] experiences with my own and discussed possible (soft) conclusions to certain questions regarding physical, psychological and societal impacts of wearing a corset. Alas, most people these days don’t have 13 minutes to spare, nevermind an [...]